.

This Olympic Legacy Needs to be Gone

I got this note:
"You are correct, the kiosks in the photos were installed in late 2009. The management, leasing and upkeep of the kiosks is handled by a contract that the City of Atlanta has with General Growth Properties a retail/mall management company. The program has had some challenges and is currently being debated by City Council about how to proceed."


Atlanta's 1996 Olympic kiosks are still here. As pretty as they are, I wish we could find them a nice home, somewhere else.

I don't spend much blog time complaining. I hope you'll excuse me this time.


Here we are at Peachtree Street and Ellis Street looking north. I walk past here 4 times a week. It's pretty, it's well kept, it's solid and sturdy. It's blocking the sidewalk and blocking my view.

P1100175-2012-07-13-south-elevation-Olympic-Peachtree-Kiosk-front-of-Winecoff-Ellis-Hotel-detail-wider
Is it open? No, but you certainly can't tell from here. Is there someone on the other side waiting to mug or panhandle me? You can't tell from here.

Is it scaled for human comfort? I think it mocks puny humans.

P1100175-2012-07-13-south-elevation-Olympic-Peachtree-Kiosk-front-of-Winecoff-El lis-Hotel-detail
Can I see all the wonderful Peachtree sidewalk life? No. Can I see the zen view all the way through SONO to Midtown? No. Can I see the parade coming, or going?

It's a bad experience for the operator: She can't see north, she can't see south, she can see east. She has a narrow field of view facing a wall. Potential customer whiz by; they don't even know your are open until they are right there.

It's a bad experience for the customer: You can't tell it's open. You don't comfortably approach a person from a distance. You go from not seeing the operator to seeing him for the first time from a few feet away.

It's a bad experience for the pedestrians.

I am not against street vendors or kiosks. This one is a few few blocks north.

P1100174-2012-07-13-soputh-elevation-Olympic-Peachtree-portable-Kiosk-foodstand
No explanation needed.

Let's re-purpose the kiosks and and find them a nice home somewhere else.

P1030839-2010-09-04-DragonCon-Parade-TK-Middle-Of-Peachtree-Detail
Let's find a way to liberate Peachtree. And let's hold in those tummies while we're at it.