.

Barbara Olsen's charming folk art at Anne Irwin Fine Art

From the Buckhead Art Stroll on May 6: Barbara Olson's "Play a Simple Melody" at Ann Irwin Fine Art.


It was kind of "wawm" as we say; our faces were getting a little shiny in the heat, a hint of Atlanta's summer evenings to come. This was just our first stop.

Here is Barbara Olson in front of her "Alone in the Park," one of my favorites.
P1010851-2010-05-06-Buckhead-Stroll-Anne-Irwin-Fine-Art-features-Barbara-Olsen-Detail-Alone-in-the-Park

Not quite so alone after all with Katherine, me and "Savannah Queen."
P1010851-2010-05-06-Buckhead-Stroll-Anne-Irwin-Fine-Art-features-Barbara-Olsen-Right

"Bird Bouquet" is the backdrop to Barbara and her fans.
P1010852-2010-05-06-Buckhead-Stroll-Anne-Irwin-Fine-Art-features-Barbara-Olsen-Center-Bird-Bouquet

I'm afraid I caught Barbara in mid-blink but I wanted to show you her "Two Hats Are Better Than One" "Bon Jour" and "Bird Bouquet."
P1010853-2010-05-06-Buckhead-Stroll-Anne-Irwin-Fine-Art-features-Barbara-Olsen-Center

A book about Martin Luther King used "I Have a Dream" as a full page illustration. There were a number of smaller works. You can fit Mrs. Olsen's charming work into your home on a budget.
P1010854-2010-05-06-Buckhead-Stroll-Anne-Irwin-Fine-Art-features-Barbara-Olsen-I-Have-a-Dream

I find Southern folk art irresistible: great colors, clever themes, sentiment. It rewards looking closely. It has emotional depth. I hope you will see these in person. Barbara's craftsmanship and skill with her media amazed me.

Anne Irwin Fine Art has blog so we can find out what new. Here is a feature on Barbara Olsen's studio so you can see how it's done.

This was just the first stop on our First Thursday stroll, more to come in another post.

Thanks,
Terry