.

Trinity Presbeterian - Ivey & Crook Job #603 1953

Thanks to Clark Goodwin who invited me to breakfast yesterday. It was a TOTALLY AWESOME southern breakfast. Then William J. Morton MD JD (and quite a humorist) discussed his book "The Story of Georgia's Boundaries: A Meeting of History and Geography" It gave me a chance to see Trinity Presbyterian Church in Atlanta. It was a delightful way to start the day.


Clark got the sanctuary unlocked for me. I was there alone about 8:45 in the morning, lights off, with my tiny little camera.

The major windows are clear, light flooded in. The small windows have what I'd call a "Crook" lattice in stained glass.

My overall impression is crisp, bright, open, simple, wide rather than deep.

You can see the reflection of a lattice patterned window that's behind me in the narthex.
P1070988-2011-02-25-Trinity-Presbyterian-Church-ATL-Buck-Crook-Narthex-to-Sanctuary-with-reflection

The shadow behind the lattice of the pipe rooms caught my eye. The dark trim of the pews, the lattice framing the alter make a room-filling geometrical composition.

I missed stained glass at first. Then I caught the light and shadows. The planes of the pews did their own thing with light. I wanted to hold on to the low winter sun.
P1070985-2011-02-25-Trinity-Presbyterian-Church-ATL-Buck-Crook-Columns-Aisle-Windows

The aisles are monumental yet cozy, a comfortable route to your seat after the service has started.
P1070984-2011-02-25-Trinity-Presbyterian-Church-ATL-Buck-Crook-Columns-Aisle

Altar and chancel are quiet and curvy, restrained but not simple.
P1070981-2011-02-25-Trinity-Presbyterian-Church-ATL-Buck-Crook-Altar

P1070983-2011-02-25-Trinity-Presbyterian-Church-ATL-Buck-Crook-Columns-Pilasters

The exteriors are compositions in themselves. I'll return if I can.

For now I'll leave you with a Crook cupola and Crook lattice as seen from the sanctuary. It's charm dialed to 11. While the tall steeple aims at heaven, it's the cupola that draws my eye.
P1070986-2011-02-25-Trinity-Presbyterian-Church-ATL-Buck-Crook-Cupola

Thanks to Clark, to Trinity Presbyterian Church, and to their Friday men's breakfast. Thanks to William Robert Mitchell Jr. author of Lewis Edmund Crook, Jr. Architect 1898-1967: "A Twentieth-Century Traditionalist in the Deep South". Thanks to Jim Crossley, grandson of Lewis "Buck" Crook who publishes some of Crook's beautiful work on the web.