.

White and Pointy - 80 years apart

I'm participating in Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch. Thanks to Susan! Not a nice metamorphosis now, but let's hope these come back.

This new house - a teardown - by Atlanta architect Bradley E. Heppner - takes my breath away.
It's a 2009 Morningside interpretation of something older. But isn't everything? In any case I love the pointy shapes, the simplicity, the interesting roof, the straightforward windows. I think it will be on magazine covers.

PC042019-2009-12-04-Berkshire-Facade-Gables-Parapet-Curve-Between

So here is a 1929'er in Druid Hills. I've been driving by it forever, always enjoying the simple white shapes. Would you keep the white windows or go for a more metal look?
PC162263-2009-12-16-Druid-Hills-1929-French-White-Closeup

The new one is a bit stark in the picture, it hasn't weathered in yet, the driveway too new. In person, it's striking but not so stark. Can you imagine white windows?
PC042021-2009-12-04-Berkshire-Facade

My field guide to American homes says that English houses have a door emphasis, French ones a roof emphasis. I include the door surround for Things That Inspire's post about a "carved" doorway.
PC162261-2009-12-16-Druid-Hills-1929-French-White-Gold-Facade-Detail-Entry-Chimney

Compare to the neighboring house. I've been watching it since before the teardown. Every day has been interesting. Exterior walls are concrete block with hard coat stucco.
PC042022-2009-12-04-Berkshire-Facade-Driveway

The more I look, the more I learn, the deeper I look, the more I like.

Thanks,
Terry

P.S. What I particularly appreciate about architects and builders: Their work is forever in public and can't come in out of the rain.
PC042021-2009-12-04-Berkshire-East-Gutter-Detail-Fuzzy

That can mean gutter rocket science.

Thanks to Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch.