.

A few front doors in Atlanta

Hooked on Houses is hosting her "Hooked on Fridays" blog party; I hope y'all will click here and have look. This week I'm hooked on Atlanta's front doors.

They aren't all as much fun as LottaFrutta's strawberry door on Auburn Avenue...
P1221787-Strawberry-Door-Old4thWard

...but you can bet that architect and designer do their best at the door. You don't need mansions to find good ones. Architecture Tourists take a little extra time to check out the entrances that most of us will never be invited to enter. Here is one by Neel Reid in Druid Hills. It's a total package that just delights me every time.
P1141700Reid-Fairvew-Detail

This one is just down the street. It's fancy, detailed but a little colder?
P2092079-FairV-Entrance-Detail-Fruit

While we're looking at columns (I know Things That Inspire doesn't like them quite as much as I do) I love this fancy but human scaled entrance for a Virginia Highland apartment. The whole little building is really "put together." I do love it.
P2061947-Frederica-Side-Porches-Entrance-Detail-Columns-Pilastersjpg

This is Winonna Park Elementary School in Decatur. It's a little school in a setting and neighborhood that inspires nostalgia; it's just perfect. The entrance with columns in antis is quite noble. Note the transom panels over standard issue glass doors.
P2051905-WP-Elem-Door

This little house in East Atlanta has a fancy garden door. I'm curious every time I drive by. (For your AT's, this in on Glenwood just east of Glenwood Park)
P3092331-Garden-Door-Glenwood

This is one of many little Grant Park houses that is justly proud of itself
P3092341-Grant-Park-Corinthian-Columns-Porch-Detail

This one is a rare type for Druid Hills with a Garden Growing Wild.
P2122111-Misson-Druid-Hills-Entrance

This one in Piedmont Heights is so cute that I forgot I was talking about front doors. I'll bet that most Atlantans didn't know there is such a place as Piedmont Heights. Well, there is. This house looks good enough to eat.
PC031420-Symetrical-Eyebrow-Dormer-Piedment-Heights

This old apartment proudly looks it's age. I've always loved the door surround. It's chunky scroll buttresses are quite shapely.
P2031857-Curvey-DoorFrame-VirAve

Scroll Butresses are everywhere if you look. The entrance to the 1915 Phelan Apartments on Peachtree in Midtown is loaded with fruity goodness. Neel Reid did this one too.
P2082048-Phelan-Apartments-Entrance-Detail-Fruit-Scroll-Butress-Detail

We started with LottsFruitta's strawberry door so let's get back to color with this one on Ponce de Leon. It's not quite my style but...
P2051915-1116-Ponce-Facade-Entrance-Detail

Of course front doors look their very best with freinds and family
PB271393-Going-Home

Thanks and Happy Independance day, July 4, 2009.
Terry

P.S. I'm not worthy: but I won a prize at: Cote de Texas Second Anniversary Winners! Thanks so much. I'm going to try hard to be worthy.